MWorks with ViewPixx monitors

Yasmine El-Shamayleh

20 Nov, 2019 03:24 PM

Hi Christopher -

I'm a new faculty member at Columbia University - and a close colleague of Najib Majaj (I did my PhD work with Tony Movshon at NYU).

I'm setting up my lab - and very interested in using MWorks (in combination with Blackrock, Eyelink and a ViewPixx3D monitor).

I know that the Movshon lab already uses MWorks with Blackrock and Eyelink - but I don't know if anyone is using it to display images on a ViewPixx monitor.

Any reason this is not possible? Thought I should ask before buying very expensive monitors!

Many thanks,
Yasmine

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Christopher Sta... on 20 Nov, 2019 03:51 PM

Hi Yasmine,

While I have no experience with VPixx monitors myself, some other folks have reported using them with MWorks, so I guess it's possible. As long as you can connect it to a Mac via DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort/etc., there shouldn't be any issue.

However, MWorks won't have access to any of the VIEWPixx's integrated I/O functions, so any signals you want to capture from the VIEWPixx will need to be conveyed to an I/O device that MWorks does support. It sounds like it may be possible to implement direct communication between MWorks and the VIEWPixx (the data sheet mentions a "low-level ANSI C API", which sounds promising), but I'm not aware of any MWorks users who have done this. If it is possible, I could create an MWorks plugin that provides this integration, but I would need access to the actual VIEWPixx device to do so.

I hope that helps. If you have any other MWorks-related questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

Cheers,
    Chris Stawarz

2. 2 Posted by Yasmine El-Sham... on 20 Nov, 2019 04:05 PM

Thanks for this quick response!

Looking forward to working with you on all this!

Cheers,
    Yasmine

3. Christopher Stawarz closed this discussion on 22 Nov, 2019 04:02 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac