Long saving time

beshoy.agayby

22 Oct, 2019 03:05 PM

Hi Chris,

If you remember, a while ago, i had an issue with data not being saved. While this issue is resolved; I have a different one now. Mworks takes ages closing the data file (more than 1.5 hours at this moment and going). The file size so far is about 3.6GB. I am using v 0.9 as well. Any idea what causes this? if it's unavoidable, is it possible to have another instance of Mworks to start my next experiment?

Cheers,
Beshoy

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Christopher Sta... on 22 Oct, 2019 08:05 PM

Hi Beshoy,

It sounds like the same root problem as before: At some point in the experiment, the rate at which events are written falls drastically below the rate at which events are generated, producing a huge backlog, and the data file can't close until the backlog is cleared. Please see the linked comment for my suggestions on how to proceed.

Cheers,
    Chris

2. 2 Posted by beshoy.agayby on 23 Oct, 2019 10:57 AM

Hi Chris,

I checked the data read and write rates. During the experiment. THe data read/sec is around 40KB and the written is about 13-25MB. Are those normal numbers?

Cheers,
    Beshoy

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Christopher Sta... on 23 Oct, 2019 07:25 PM

Hi Beshoy,

During the experiment. THe data read/sec is around 40KB and the written is about 13-25MB. Are those normal numbers?

Yes, those are totally reasonable I/O rates.

Can you try running the special MWorks build I provided previously? The log file it generates should provide some insight into what's happening.

Chris

4. 4 Posted by beshoy.agayby on 27 Nov, 2019 11:26 AM

Hi Chris,

I tried this special build, but i am not sure how and where to find the log file to send you.

Cheers,
    Beshoy

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Christopher Sta... on 27 Nov, 2019 03:20 PM

Hi Beshoy,

It should be in the same place as before: /tmp/mwserver_event_file_log.txt.

Thanks,
    Chris

6. 6 Posted by beshoy.agayby on 28 Nov, 2019 01:19 PM

Hi Chris,

I attached the log file. Again, it took hours to finish saving the file.
    Thanks in advance for the help.

Cheers,
    Beshoy

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Christopher Sta... on 02 Dec, 2019 08:41 PM

Hi Beshoy,

Thanks for the log file. I'll take a look and see if it provides any new insight into the problem.

Chris

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Christopher Sta... on 05 Dec, 2019 09:02 PM

Hi Beshoy,

The log file confirms that writing events to disk is taking an unreasonably long time (e.g. 100ms or more per 1000 events, where a reasonable duration would be <10ms). I can induce this problem on my Mac Pro by using a stress-testing tool that loads the system with disk writes.

I've also discovered that I can eliminate the problem, even with the stress-testing tool running, by setting SQLite's "synchronous" flag to "OFF". Disregarding for a moment whether this is really a good idea, it'd be interesting to know if this change resolves the issue for you, too. If you're willing to try it, I've created a modified build of MWorks that you can get at

https://www.dropbox.com/s/chojes7fa5eepl9/MWorks-sqlite_synchronous...

It's identical to the current nightly build, except for the change to the synchronous flag.

I should note that, when I start the stress-testing tool, Activity Monitor's data written/sec figure jumps from around 60MB to 700MB or more. Since you aren't seeing a similarly high write volume, you may be experiencing a different issue. Still, I think this is a worthwhile test to run.

Thanks,
    Chris

9. 9 Posted by beshoy.agayby on 07 Dec, 2019 05:29 PM

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the modified version. I will test it on Monday and let you know how it goes!

Cheers,
    Beshoy

10. 10 Posted by beshoy.agayby on 09 Dec, 2019 06:27 PM

Hi Chris,
    This worked! File size looks appropriate and I took a quick look at the events and things seem in order.

Cheers,
    Beshoy

11. Support Staff 11 Posted by Christopher Sta... on 10 Dec, 2019 09:22 PM

Hi Beshoy,

That's great news! I have to think a bit more about whether this should be the default configuration going forward, although my current feeling is that it should.

Cheers,
    Chris

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac