About monitor distance

mc7055

03 Jul, 2018 04:08 AM

Hi Chris,

Apologies for the silly question. I was trying to adjust the image display for the newer version of MWorks and I am confused on how/where to indicate the monitor dimensions and distance to the observer. I was looking into the width, height and distance on the 'setup_variables_two_monitors.xml' (/Library/Application Support/MWorks/Configuration/examples). Or directly on the MWServer. Is this where I should be looking into? If so, what units should those numbers be in? (I was expecting that by doubling the distance for instance the objects on the monitor would decrease size.)

Thank you!
mariana

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Christopher Sta... on 03 Jul, 2018 02:17 PM

Hi Mariana,

I was looking into the width, height and distance on the 'setup_variables_two_monitors.xml' (/Library/Application Support/MWorks/Configuration/examples). Or directly on the MWServer. Is this where I should be looking into?

The easiest way is to change them via MWServer's preferences window, but you can also edit setup_variables.xml directly. For more info, see the user manual.

If so, what units should those numbers be in?

They can be in any units, as long as they're all in the same units. The units divide out when the dimensions are converted to degrees of visual angle. For details on how this works (and the rationale behind it), see this discussion.

Cheers,
    Chris

2. 2 Posted by mc7055 on 03 Jul, 2018 11:37 PM

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the prompt response. I have it working now. Thank you again
    (and that pointer was very helpful)!

mariana

3. Christopher Stawarz closed this discussion on 05 Jul, 2018 01:08 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac