NE500 syringe pump over serial-to-usb interface

Bram-Ernst Verhoef

02 Oct, 2015 01:30 PM

Hi Chris,

I am trying to get the syringe pump to work with a serial-to-usb interface, but am unsuccessful. Does the NE500 plugin work with a serial-to-usb cable? If so, how do I address it? If not, is a serial-to-ethernet bridge the only way to go?

Thanks in advance,
Bram

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Christopher Sta... on 02 Oct, 2015 01:44 PM

Hi Bram,

Does the NE500 plugin work with a serial-to-usb cable?

Currently, it does not, and a serial-to-Ethernet bridge is required. (I have one from StarTech.) Adding support for serial-to-USB cables is on my to-do list.

Cheers,
    Chris

2. 2 Posted by Bram-Ernst Verh... on 02 Oct, 2015 02:37 PM

Ok, I'll start with the startech. Thanks a lot, Bram

3. Christopher Stawarz closed this discussion on 02 Oct, 2015 08:25 PM.

4. Christopher Stawarz re-opened this discussion on 08 Oct, 2015 01:31 PM

5. 3 Posted by mhisted on 08 Oct, 2015 01:37 PM

Hi Chris,

I'm just trying to understand why the serial-to-usb cables don't work. I have used several different brands in the past (probably all using similar or the same underlying chipsets) and they expose a character device in /dev/, which I presume is the way MWorks talks to the serial to ethernet port too.
    Is all that right?

thanks,
    Mark

6. Support Staff 4 Posted by Christopher Sta... on 08 Oct, 2015 01:49 PM

Hi Mark,

I'm just trying to understand why the serial-to-usb cables don't work. I have used several different brands in the past (probably all using similar or the same underlying chipsets) and they expose a character device in /dev/, which I presume is the way MWorks talks to the serial to ethernet port too. Is all that right?

No. MWorks communicates with the Ethernet end of the serial-to-Ethernet bridge, via a TCP socket. The bridge forwards the commands from MWorks to the pump via its built-in serial port. While the commands themselves aren't different, the transport is.

Modifying the NE500 plugin to support both serial-via-Ethernet and "direct" (via USB) serial connections isn't a huge job, but it will require an entirely separate code path for setting up the serial connection. That's the part that's missing currently.

Chris

7. 5 Posted by mhisted on 08 Oct, 2015 02:08 PM

I see.

From our point of view I think a serial-USB driver would be low high priority, then. Once we have the serial-ethernet gear working we probably won't have strong motivation to upgrade to serial-usb.

thanks,
    Mark

8. Christopher Stawarz closed this discussion on 13 Oct, 2015 04:43 PM.

9. Christopher Stawarz closed this discussion on 30 Mar, 2016 04:16 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac