Pull remote data files through client?

ereming

01 Jul, 2014 02:32 PM

Hi Chris,

I posted a bunch of questions on the forum yesterday, but there's one in particular that I'd like to get an answer to soon if possible: is there a way to pull data files through the client remotely? It doesn't seem to be the case, but I want to make sure. Because the server machine in this case will not be connected to the wired MIT network, I can't access it through the network browser, nor can I get a hostname or static IP address from MIT with which to connect and download the data. I'm looking into signing up for a dynamic DNS service, but I want to make sure there isn't an easier way before I do that.

Thanks,
- Evan

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Christopher Sta... on 01 Jul, 2014 02:46 PM

Hi Evan,

No, there's no way to pull data files through the client. That's a feature we should think about adding in the future.

Because the server machine in this case will not be connected to the wired MIT network, I can't access it through the network browser, nor can I get a hostname or static IP address from MIT with which to connect and download the data.

In that case, how do you identify the machine to MWClient? Are you just giving it the server's current DHCP-assigned address?

Another option might be to use Bonjour to locate the machine. That is, find/set the server machine's name in System Preferences -> Sharing -> Computer Name, and then look up that name in the network browser. Presumably, this would require your Mac and the server to be on the same wifi network, and even then I'm not sure it would work. Still, it may be worth trying.

Cheers,
    Chris

2. 2 Posted by ereming on 01 Jul, 2014 03:36 PM

Thanks Chris. I removed this question from my big list. I'm going to use
    dynamic DNS for now, but this could be a nice feature in the future.

- Evan

3. 3 Posted by ereming on 01 Jul, 2014 03:43 PM

Also, dynamic DNS works for the client-server connection as well. I guess
    that is obvious but I didn't think of it at the time. Two birds one stone.

- Evan

4. Christopher Stawarz closed this discussion on 02 Jul, 2014 05:09 PM.

5. Christopher Stawarz closed this discussion on 14 Mar, 2019 02:52 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac